Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Summerlands

Some dear friends just yesterday had to make the decision to free thier lovely mare from her mortal coil. I went to stand in for them as her heart galloped its last beat, for I knew they wouldnt have the strength to remember her in life through the images of her passing. Her passing, thier grief, and the memories of my own losses over the years inspired the following writing.

There is a place where horses go, I see it within my heart
The Summerlands, like Neverland, where friends will never part
Where tall trees give shade and sweet grass will ever grow
Where hills roll onward, gentle and streams always flow
And I see the shining eyes I last saw dulled with pain
I see unbroken hearts, and limbs flashing once again
I know thier spirits know me as I look upon them there
They toss thier manes and trumpet, they dance upon the air
They know someday I'll meet them and touch them as before
They wait for me just beyond the pearls of heavens door
I know them in my heart as surely as I knew them with my hands
And I know the peace of thier presence in those heartfelt Summerlands

1 comment: